Those of you who know me well know that I am not an alarmist. I think non-profit organizations often ride the “horse of emergency” all too often in trying to raise money and get people to give. Motivating Americans through guilt-laden campaigns featuring pictures of bloated babies causes more long-term harm than good.
But, the recent happenings in Haiti are reason enough for me to “sound the alarm.” Friends, the situation in Haiti is dire. And I’m honestly concerned the worst is still to come. In the midst of all the confusion and unanswered questions about what is happening there, here is what I know:
- The situation in Haiti is absolutely devastating.
- We serve an all-powerful God.
- Generosity exudes from the transformed hearts of Christians.
My encouragement on how to help:
- Fast and pray on behalf of the people of Haiti and the courageous people who are traveling to Haiti to help from the Dominican Republic, elsewhere in Haiti and around the world. To guide your prayers, perhaps view this slideshow.
- Give generously, effectively* & quickly. This is a situation where I believe we all should consider giving “above and beyond” our normal charitable giving. Here are a few organizations I recommend as I know they will bring both “clean water and the Living Water” to the people of Haiti:
*There are many wonderful Christian organizations which need funds for food, medical supplies, clean water, shelter and the rebuilding process throughout Haiti. It’s easy to just give to whoever asks first. I would encourage you to think strategically about where to give. Please comment below if you support organizations you know to be ministering in “word and deed” and in ways which promote dignity among the people of Haiti.